Friday, May 23, 2014

Chili Rellenos

I asked my maid, Edith (pronounced Eh-deet here in Mexico), if she would teach me how to make a few Mexican dishes.

She made the MOST DELICIOUS Chili Rellenos today. She made 4, but by the time Ryan gets home I may just tell him that she forgot to make them because I am going to eat them all before he gets home. MY WORD they are delicious. I watched her and helped her make them and then wrote down every step of the recipe. I don't know if the chili's or the cheese is available in the States. I asked a dear friend to check Harmon's for the cheese. As for the peppers, they are not as hot as most peppers (bless her heart, she knows me well). I really didn't make any Mexican dishes before coming here. So, they may be a super common pepper and I just don't know, if not... google them, and let me know if you can find the peppers and cheese back home.

Here is the recipe, let me know if you make them, ENJOY!

Edith's Chili RelleƱos
4 poblano chili's                                              
Manchego or Oaxaca (pronounced wah-hock-uh) cheese                            
2 eggs                                                                  
4 lg roma tomatoes                                                         
½ onion, sliced      
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 c. water
¼ c. flour
Salt & Pepper
oil

Toast peppers in large frying pan on each side until skins are black. Place blackened peppers in a large ziplock, place ziplock in a grocery sack, wrap a towel around and place in microwave to sweat the peppers, so the skins come off easily. 

Boil water, blanch tomatoes and peel skins off (throw them away). Place blanched tomatoes in blender with water they were blanched in. Blend until liquid. In another frying pan, cook onion and garlic in 2 Tbls of oil, until it becomes fragrant. Pour tomato sauce into pan, cover and simmer on low until it becomes slightly thick. Season with salt and pepper.

While it is simmering, peel black skins off peppers, make a slice lengthwise down pepper, with a spoon, scoop out seeds. Place 4 thick (¼") slices of cheese in each pepper, and close pepper back up.

Pour oil in large frying pan, enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Place on medium high heat so it gets hot while you do the next step. 

Whip two egg whites until soft peaks, add two yolks and mix just until combined.  Place ¼ cup of flour on a plate. Pat flour onto each chili, dusting the outside of the pepper. Then place in egg, and cover completely with egg. Place in hot oil and lightly brown each side. Place on paper towels to soak up the oil, then place in the tomato mixture and spoon tomato over the chili's. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes. 


I will for sure be making these when I get back. They are SOOOOO yummy! I hesitated posting this because I don't want someone to make these and say "EWWW, those were nasty!" Because if you thought that... you made them wrong. Just sayin'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment